Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Catching Up on Pancakes

I've fallen a bit behind lately and am now trying to catch up! My hubby right now is working nights though, so during the day I have to keep it down.... today was "Catch Up on Pancakes " day.


We love pancakes! I love having them ready so making breakfast in the morning takes less than 1 minute. There is a bit of prepping ahead of time, but once you have a freezer full of pancakes - the family is happy!

Use whatever recipe your family loves, they all freeze well. Here a couple of quick hints though -

  • If you are going to do it - do it big! I figure if I'm going to get out the griddle, mix them up and wait for them to cook and cool - I'm going to make the most of my time. I made 4 batches today, that's about 48 pancakes.
  • If you are going to be making a big bunch, buy some powdered milk. I needed three cups of milk for my four batches. I used one packet of instant non-fat milk (out of my box of three) and instead of mixing it with 3 3/4 cups of water like it called for, I mixed it with just 3 cups. Much richer and still non-fat.
  • Use this THING my BFF got it for me for Christmas a few years ago and I LOVE it!! I use it for cupcake batter and pancakes. 
  • Cool them completely! This part is important. I spread them out on cooling racks and let them cool completely before stacking them and double bagging them in freezer bags. If they aren't cool, steam will condense inside the bags and will create ice inside the bag, or cause them to stick together. Not good.
  • AJ usually eats two at a time. I spread them each with peanut butter, stack them on a plate, top with a bit of syrup and into the microwave they go for 30 seconds, the time it takes me to pour a glass of milk.


Don't forget to mix it up once in awhile to keep the kiddos from getting bored. We especially like berries, sliced apples with caramel, and sliced bananas. Try other flavors of nut butters, jam, or yogurt. Use as the base for a breakfast sandwich with a few slices of ham and a slice of cheese. Oh .... and occasionally surprise them with a few chocolate chips before heating, then top with whipped cream and sprinkles!

No comments:

Post a Comment