Friday, June 22, 2012

Camouflage Cupcakes


That's what AJ asked for his birthday this year, camouflage cupcakes. Thankfully, I already had this one figured out. I made these cupcakes

back in February for a Cupcake Rodeo and knew the technique was going to be used again. A few people asked how I accomplished these, so this time I took a few pictures to try and explain the technique. (this is NOT my original idea, I saw a gal doing it on a youtube video and for the life of me, can't find the video again!! Whoever she was, she's brilliant!!)


After making the frosting and tinting it three different "camouflage colors" I spread each color out onto plastic wrap. 

Pull the edges together to make sure it is completely enclosed. Grab the two ends, one in each hand and twirl in the air. This twists the ends closed and makes a burrito:

Now take one end of your burrito and put it into your decorating bag, it takes a bit of maneuvering.


Pull the plastic wrap out of the metal tip, as far out as you can get it,


Now cut off the plastic sticking out, you are ready to use the bag as you normally would.

Here is an alternate design:

When you are done, just pull out the plastic and toss! The inside of your bag will still be clean and all you'll need to wash is your decorating tip.


Nice! I bought the army men and washed them up before putting them on top. The background is melted chocolate, unfortunately - it wouldn't hold up to the heat so wasn't used. The kids didn't seem to miss it!!


Hope you get a chance to try this, it was so much fun! Happy Birthday, AJ!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's way easier than the way I did it. I used the P.Chef decorator and spooned in one color on each side. Your way is a lot cleaner. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I saw one where you painted the color into the bag and then piped it - but it looked to me like the color was just on the icing that touched the sides and it still showed too much white - especially for something like this!

      Delete