Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Hive

If you've ever come to stay with us you'd know I have a thing for bees, you could say that "I think they're the bees knees".

I didn't start out collecting bees. I started out with a love (that continues to this day) of all things Winnie-the-Pooh. Disney's version is okay, E.H. Shepard's version is far superior in every way! This:
Not this:




I am a huge fan of A.A. Milne and the classic English versions of Pooh. I began collecting when I was very young, back then the only Pooh items to be found were Disney's version. I had the books and drawings of the original, but not much else. As I got older, more and more the classic version came into style and I was in heaven!! It was more expensive and still not quite as easy to find - but it was out there.

Then something happened - both versions became easy to find everywhere and everyone knew I loved Pooh Bear! I got Winnie-the-Pooh everything!! I loved it all and wanted to show them all off. But he soon began to take over the bedroom, the bathroom, the living room and when he began to wander his way into my kitchen I was done! I went through everything, and saved only my oldest and most precious of items. The rest, I'm sad to say, moved on.

Now, I still loved my dear old bear, but had no more room! Then I began to notice his bees. He has the cutest little bee friends. In the early drawings they are mostly just scribbled, and Disney gave them military personalities. They seem to be drawn in a ton of various ways - but always so cute!! And so my new collection began. Bees!!

These days my bees live in our guest room which is decorated somewhat like an English Garden. The walls are green, there are flowers all around, English tea cups and tons of bees. This is one shelf with a few cuties on it. My husband is happy that they've finally settled into a hive and are not buzzing all around the house anymore -----

although, they are dressed as Steeler Fans so I don't know what the problem is!?!

1 comment:

  1. awesome, put up some of the other old characters :) like tigger and eyore!

    ReplyDelete